Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

New Pillow Covers

In no way do I consider myself an interior designer, but my untrained eye noticed I definitely needed new couch pillows.  A few months ago, I bought a white sofa and loveseat off Craigslist.  The old pillows didn’t match the color scheme in the living room.


Before I receive any disapproving tsk-tsks or negatively shaking heads, YES, I know white couches get dirty.  In fact, they get dirty VERY easily.  I consider my Craigslist purchases as “pre-children” couches.  White is a great neutral and they look great.
Back to the pillows.  I considered buying new pillows, but didn't want to waste down feathers.  I felt bad stuffing the old ones in box and storing them in a rarely visited corner.  After taking a nap on the couch, I woke to find my face mashed against a pillow’s zipper.  Hmm…logic started to fill my head. 

I decided to remove the old covers and buy new covers.  I browsed through numerous websites, including Etsy, but couldn’t justify the prices.  I researched “easy pillow covers” and found Apartment Therapy’s brief picture tutorials on sewing envelop covers.  

My sewing machine skills are nonexistent.  One of these days, I’ll invest in a simple sewing machine and learn how to sew.  In the mean time, BF’s mom was very happy to help with my latest project. 
There was an hour’s worth of trial and error with the first pillow.  The first one is always an experiment.
After completing the first pillow, we finally got the hang of it. I measured and cut the fabric, while BF’s mom sewed. 


Bailey tried to help, but pressures of naptime were too overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment