Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Just Right Light

BF, "Wow, I wish I could see the food I'm eating."
TMF, "Yeah, it would be nice to have a light over the dining table."
BF, "What are you waiting for?"
TMF, "Sigh."

Whenever we would eat meals at the dining table, we resorted to turning on all the lights surround the dining area.   
We were waiting for the perfect light fixture.  Something that wasn't too expensive, builder-grade nor boring. 

I dreamt of a large drum shade or sparkling crystals.  Many choices were thrown out because their chains or cords weren't long enough for the vaulted ceiling. 

I felt as if I was Goldilocks when saying, 
"No, it's too expensive." 
"No, it looks too cheap."
"Ugh, why is it gold?"
"It's too boring."
"It's just not right."  
In other words, I couldn't find the right light.  

During an unscheduled visit to Goodwill, we came across this billiards table light. We planned to buy new and creative lamp shades, but ran into the same problem. We couldn't find the right shades.  

We considered waste baskets, tissue boxes, lamp shades and serving bowls. I attempted to spray paint the existing shades, but BF thought it still strongly resembled a billiards table light.  
 


While shopping at Lowe's, BF saw this fairly simple light.  It fit all the criteria except for the builder-grade and boring characteristics. It's not the fanciest or eye-catching of lights, but it looks very nice hanging above our dining table. 






It's just right. Now we can see our food and each other during dinner.  


No comments:

Post a Comment