Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

Chevron Striped Laundry Closet

After I purchased this small ottoman, I became obsessed with chevron stripes. I really wanted to paint a wall with chevron stripes. 
The only wall available long enough in the house is in the living room.  I wasn’t sure if I was ready to commit to a strong pattern.  Instead I chose a safe two-toned stripe. 
In an effort to find more storage options in the small house, I looked into the laundry closet.  I plan to install several new wire shelves.  This would be a great space to try painting chevron stripes for the first time.  Although most of the wall area would be covered with shelves, I still wanted to have an eye-catching laundry closet. 

I was a big girl and tore down the old wire shelf myself.  I almost threw up when pulling the shelf away from the wall.  There was so much dust, ash and who-knows-what-else the shelf felt FURRY and STICKY.  Yuck.  I scolded myself for not putting on gloves before removing the shelf. 

In addition to obsessing over chevron stripes, I am fixated on citron or chartreuse shades of yellow-green. 

I did a lot of internet research on the easiest way to create the chevron stripes.  Since this is a closet not many people will see, I figured I didn't need to be so precise with my measurements.  Luckily I discovered a blogger who felt the same way.  I followed Zandi's easy directions.  In less than an hour I penciled a grid on the wall. 
 

I don't think I have ever used so much tape for such a small section.  It seems wasteful, but you definitely need sharp edges. 

As I rolled on the second layer of paint, BF walked by and raised his eyebrows.  I’m sure he was thinking, “this is either going to look fantastic or completely fail.” 
I don’t care.  I’m the one who does the laundry.  This means I’m the only one who will actually open the doors and it’ll make me very happy J


1 comment: