Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

Satsuma Labor

A couple of month ago, my parents offered to give us their old juicer.  Winter was coming and we anticipated a new crop of citrus fruit.

Every time I told BF I was stopping by my parents' house, he reminded me to pick up the juicer.  Every time I left my parents' house, I forgot to pick up the juicer.  It became a running joke to BF when pointing out numerous satsumas falling onto the ground.  


One day I lost my temper and yelled out, "Forget my parents' juicer and go buy your own!"

While were strolling the aisles of BJ's Wholesale Club, BF spotted a juicer.  Since I felt guilty for yelling, I decided the $15 bucks was worth a peace offering.  I encouraged BF to buy the juicer.  Little did I know how much the peace offering was really going to cost me.  

Are you familiar with satsumas?  They're citrus fruits that are sweet and juicy.  They're also small.  Good-sized satsumas are the size of a tennis ball.  This means you have to squeeze many satsumas to yield a noteworthy amount of liquid.  

The process is fairly simple.  Cut the fruit in half.  Stick the half in between the press and strainer  Then press the lever down.  Yeah, it seemed easy until BF plopped down a heavy basket. 
This was the last batch of the season.  Now our trees are bare.  I wanted to make sure I extracted as much juice as possible with each satsuma.  
Two and half hours later, the fruits of my labor were proudly displayed on the the kitchen counter.  

When I told my mom about my satsuma labor story, she reminded me of their proffered juicer.  

Mama M, "Why don't you take our juicer?"
TMF, "Nah, don't worry about it.  We already bought this one."
Mama M, "But this is an electric juicer."
TMF, "So?"
Mama, "All you have to do is throw in the fruit and you're done.  No cutting, no squeezing."
TMF, "Sigh."

No comments:

Post a Comment