Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

From Dark & Creepy to Light & Inviting

BF and I have been in a slump. I’m not sure if it’s due to hectic work days, my lack of being handy or the lack of funds, but the renovation progress has slowly dwindled.  For the past few months we have been saving for the next big project. After a few conversations, we decided the next step is to paint the house. 

This is a huge step because it’s a big commitment to color. Once that paint is sprayed on, it's staying on. There's no going back.
 
Google Earth's current but outdated street view of the house
Although I love the big oak trees, the house can disappear in the shadows. It can appear downright scary and creepy in the evenings. On Halloween night, BF and I sat on the brightly lit front porch with the good intentions of meeting neighbors and handing out the “good” candy. Not a single trick-or-treater came near the house.  I assume the conversation went like this:

Mini Iron Man, “I wonder if that house has good candy.”
Little Captain America, “I dare you to walk up to the front door.”

Mini Iron Man, “No way!  That house is scary!”
Little Captain America, “I double dare you.”

Mini Iron Man, “No way!  I wouldn’t go there if they had full-size candy bars.”
Little Captain America, “I would triple-dog dare you, but that would be wrong.”

We want to morph from dark & scary to light & inviting. The new color is going to be a pale yellow.  I visited Lowes paint department and grabbed every available pale yellow paint chip.

All the yellows started to look the same to me. I was probably cross-eyed when I threw the paint chips on the dining table and asked for BF's help. It took him less than three minutes to narrow down to three options. Don't get me started on the insane number of shades of white. Picking the white for the exterior trim took BF less than two minutes. Stay tuned to see the results!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Also, if you want quick and easy landscaping, throw some wildflower seeds to border your porch. At first I thought I was just growing more weeds, but the colors are amazing now that they are blooming.

    ReplyDelete