Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Moving Furniture Disability

As the cargo door shut on my SUV I thought, "Oh cr*p, how are we going to move this thing inside the house?"
BF found this IKEA TV stand on Craigslist.  When I first viewed the TV stand, the seller mentioned it was very heavy.  I checked on the website and it weighs 121 pounds! The seller was really nice and helped BF move the stand from his apartment, into the elevator and into my car.  

I'm not sure why, but I have a undiagnosed disability when it comes to moving furniture.  There's a mental block.  I don't have the capacity to lift large objects.  Manuevering through door ways?  Yeah, right.  Walking backwards?  Forget about it.


As soon as we drove away from the seller, I asked BF, "How do you plan to move this thing?  You know I can't help."  BF said he would call for reinforcements. 

BF calls his brother Robin and Robin happily agrees to help.  Thank goodness because there was no way I lifting 1/4 of 121 pounds. 

BF, "Robin, while I have you here, are you up for moving one more thing?"
Robin again agrees.
BF, "I have to warn you; it'll be experimental."
TMF, "Huh?"

We tried to move the majority of boxes and furniture to the second floor while we had the traditional staircase.  After the spiral staircase was installed, we knew moving furniture would be very difficult. 

We haven't installed railing on the area overlooking foyer yet.  I could see the wheels in BF's head turning as he looked up. 

TMF, "You're going to lift the loveseat through there?!?!"
BF, "Yup."
TMF, "Are you sure?"
BF turns to Robin, "Don't worry, it's not that heavy."
 
Next thing I know, Robin is upstairs clearing space for the loveseat. 
I'm not sure who had the easier end.  BF lifting & pushing up or Robin lifting & pulling.  I know the answer:  It was Bailey and me watching from the sidelines. 


No comments:

Post a Comment