Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Unpacking the Kitchen

After BF installed the kitchen cabinets, I was extremely eager to unpack my kitchen.  For months, plates, bowls, drinking glasses, mugs, flatware, knives, serving ware, small appliances, etc. were stored in boxes inside the front yard cube.  

I decided to unpack the items and lay them on the dining table.  I took a step back and felt completely overwhelmed.  During those months, BF and I learned to live very simply.  We only used the necessities, such as paper plates, plastic cups, microwave and toaster oven, for our meals. 
Where did all this stuff come from?  And where I am going to store all of it?  I analyzed and categorized the items.  Have I used it in the past year?  Who gave this to me?  How much did this cost?  Was this a wedding gift?  Why do I still have this?  Why did I pack this? 
I partially place the blame on my parents.  They were refugees and arrived in the United States with absolutely nothing.  They have become semi-hoarders.  They love to buy household items and pass them along to BF and me.  Unfortunately I don't have the heart to throw away any of their stuff. 
I started unpacking at night after BF went to sleep.  When he awoke in the morning, his irritation level skyrocketed.  During my concentrated effort to keep the kitchen items organized on the dining table, I completely ignored the empty cardboard boxes and crumpled newspapers left in random locations on the floor. 

BF, "I was getting used to everything nice and organized and you do this?!?!"
TMF, "I promise it'll all be gone by the end of the Jaguar game."
I hoped the mention of the football would ease the irritation, but BF wasn't fooled. 
It's a good thing I can't stand chaos and messiness.  I spent hours organizing and filling cabinets on Saturday.  For some odd reason seeing these cabinets fills me with a sense of calmness.


1 comment: