Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

TV Addiction Denial

I never considered myself addicted to television until I wasn't able to watch it.

We decided to go without cable or internet until we're done with the living room.  Depending upon how smoothly the staircase is painted and installed, this may take a couple of months more. 

BF is functioning fine without TV.  I assume he's focused on home renovations, while I suffer from withdraw.  We both have smart phones, so we're not completely disconnected.  I write my posts during lunchtime.  Sometimes I actually handwrite my posts at night and type them after the work day is over at my office. 


I miss hearing the Today Show while getting ready for work in the morning.  I miss catching glimpses of HGTV while sorting laundry.  I miss being inspired to cook after watching Saturday afternoon PBS cooking shows.  

I missed the last three episodes of Justified.  I am completely behind in Parks and Recreation and 30 Rock.  I even miss rolling my eyes when BF becomes excited while watching fishing shows.  Yes, fishing shows.  

TMF, "Are you aware the draft is this week?"
BF, "Wow, I am really out of it."

TMF loud sigh, "OMG.  Are you serious?!?!?  Who are you?"

Last night, BF's coworker generously let us borrow his digital TV box.  I was so excited because I heard some people can receive nearly 30 channels.
I'm not sure if it's because of our metal roof, tall and thick tree branches or our home's location, but we only receive five to six channels at night. 
1.  Spanish channel
2.  Spanish channel
3.  TBN
4.  Miscellanous Christian network
4.  E/I
5.  WJXT Channel 4

Oh the irony.  Ugh.  Have I ever mentioned my distaste for local news? 

3 comments:

  1. If you're curious what you SHOULD be getting station-wise, try this site:

    http://www.antennaweb.org/

    And click the 'Click here to start'. It will tell you, based on your address, what stations are within range of what type of antenna....including small, cheap, indoor types.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jake!

      Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

      Delete
    2. An antenna will likely help if you don't already have one- the indoor antennas do work fairly well - something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882145017

      But again, it depends on where you are in relation to the TV station that is broadcasting...and it doesn't really help that Jacksonville is not the largest market.

      Also, if you have a Windows 7 laptop (or desktop) you can use the built in Media Center app to watch\record TV if you have a TV Tuner with the antenna....such as this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116034&Tpk=950q

      Yes. I am a nerd.

      Delete