Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Short Doors

TF, "You have got to be kidding me!"
BF unapologetically, "Sorry Cupcake (BFʼs nickname for me). The doors are too short. "
TF, "But I measured and measured and measured!!!"
BF, "Theyʼre still too short."

When selecting the new doors for the kitchen pantry and laundry closet, I knew I didnʼt want bifold or accordion doors. I wanted the new doors to look sleek and modern while being practical. Traditional doors would take up too much space when opened in the oddly designed kitchen.


I would have loved to order sliding doors from Loweʼs or Home Depot, but IKEAʼs prices canʼt be beat. I measured the space over and over and over again. I consulted IKEAʼs website over and over and over again. I even forced BF to measure the space himself before making the final decision. I traveled to Orlando and brought home two pairs of Pax Lyndgal sliding doors.

BF had experience in assembling these doors. Theyʼre the same doors featured in our master bedroom Pax wardrobes. BF guided me on how to quickly assemble the first door. Before he knew it, I assembled all four doors. This is a BIG deal since Iʼm challenged with written and diagram instructions.


Then came the hour when BF hung the first door. NOOO!!! How was this possible? How could the doors be too short? I was already frustrated with our Christmas sewage problems and now the doors are too short?

I couldnʼt return the doors because IKEAʼs policy states returned items must be UNopened. My thoughts turned to selling the doors on Craigslist. My stomach turned at the thought of losing money, especially since I had to drive to Orlando to buy the doors.


BF quickly sensed my frustration and disappointment. He promised he could make it work.  In order to hang the doors at a lower level, he added a couple of boards.  I was almost in tears when he summoned me to look at his handiwork.


No comments:

Post a Comment