Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Popcorn is Gross

Let me clarify...Popcorn ceilings are gross.

First let me apologize to all my smoker-friends for lumping you into the “Smokers” category. 

But seriously, smoking is gross.  Smoking inside your house is gross.  Removing popcorn ceiling in a house where people smoked inside is gross.

When I first walked through the house, I gagged from the smell.  I immediately demanded BF wear a respirator mask while doing any work.  The previous tenants smoked cigarettes, clove cigarettes and cigars inside the house.  Not only did they smoke, but they also had dogs, cats and a bird.  As you can only imagine, the smell was pretty terrible.
BF already hated popcorn ceilings due to their tackiness.  I didn’t need much convincing when he suggested scraping off the popcorn ceilings.  It took three days off our original timeline, but it needed to be done.

After spraying down the walls with plain tap water, scraping the popcorn seemed relatively easy.  It was easy until BF pointed out how I wasn’t doing a good job.  My ceiling sections didn’t look as great as his and then my arms ached from holding them over my head.  I decided it was best to leave this job to BF.
He looks like a Ghostbuster! 
And he ain’t fraid of no popcorn ceiling ghost.

I’m so proud of BF for scraping off ALL the popcorn.  It was a daunting and dangerous task.  There is a vaulted ceiling which needs a 20 +/- ft. ladder. BF later admitted he fell off the ladder once but didn’t suffer from any major injuries.
 
The smell is almost gone.  I can’t wait to prime the walls with Kilz. 

No comments:

Post a Comment