Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

Broken Tow Strap

BF is opposed to using tools that aren't gas powered, so he decided remove some tree stumps with Blue, his dependable truck.  Apparently, shovels are for wussies. 
 

He tied one end of a metal hook tow strap to the stump and the other end to Blue's tow hook.

Vrrrooom!!!  BF revved and revved the truck's engine.  It tugged and pulled on the tree trunk and then there was a loud...

SNAP!

I immediately closed my eyes, covered my ears and hid behind a nearby tree.  

As the engine quieted, my thoughts turned to "Oh @#$%, we broke the truck."  And by "broke," I meant we damaged the truck and would have to pay for repairs. 

I uncovered my ears and stepped from behind the tree.

TMF,"Is everything okay?"
BF, "Yeah, everything is fine, but the strap broke." I finally opened my eyes and surveyed the damage.
TMF, "Oh!  I thought the metal hook flew into the truck."
BF, "Oh please." In other words, "You fool, don't you know this truck can handle it?"

He repeated the process.  Again, I hid behind the tree, covered my ears and closed my eyes as the strap broke again.

Although BF was never a boy scout, he learned to tie knots when he was younger.  I think it had something to do with boating or fishing or being a boy.  I should start paying attention when he tells me these things. 
BF-circa 1987
BF efficiently tied a few knots with the remaining strap, which was now two individual straps.  The hooks were strategically place spread across the front of the truck.

Vrrrooom!!!  The engine revved and the truck tugged and pulled again.

Instead of a snap, there was a low and looong CRACK!
Finally the tree stump came out of the ground.
BF, "Now you can use the chainsaw to cut up the stump."
TMF, "What?!?!"


No comments:

Post a Comment